12/3/21 Day 21

TODAY'S VERSE: 12/3/21 Day 21

“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” - Psalm 23:4

 

TODAY'S DEVOTION:

That’s a common Bible verse, right?  We’ve likely heard or read it many times, and it’s one of my favorites because of the word “through.”

Since my arrival at Hope, my wife and I have lived apart as she finishes her teaching career back in NE Iowa and prepares to start a new one here. I, on the other hand, have been immersed in “all things Hope” during that time. We talk daily and haven’t gone longer than a couple weeks without seeing each other. Yet some days are a challenge to be apart. And honestly, we’ve been happily married for over 35 years now, but like any relationship, there are both peaks and valleys. You noticed the word, “valley” there, right? And that brings me back to the psalmist’s word, “through.”   

Psalm 23:4 can serve as a wonderful Lenten reminder that we will all go through valleys, some far darker than temporary separation from a loved one. Many reading this devotional are dealing with unimaginable pain and suffering, for a variety of reasons, perhaps the very darkest of “valleys.” Perhaps it’s a neighbor or friend in that lowland of life…

Lent is that season of waiting that brings us not only to the foot of the cross but to the risen Lord on Easter, God’s fulfilled promise of “through” in Jesus. Christ paid the ultimate price for us so that we can eventually find comfort during life’s occasional canyons.

Yes, we WILL have valleys during our earthly lives, but we find peace knowing a Lord who promises to “walk through” those times with us, especially the darker moments, even if our understanding of ‘why’ is not abundantly clear until we’re face-to-face with Him in heaven.

Jesus went “through,” and I’m humbled by that realization this Lenten season, and no matter what valley lies ahead, He “comforts me.” I know He will do the same for you.

Bill Withers
Executive Minster: Campus Network & Development

TODAY'S PRAYER:

Father, thank you for the promise you realized for us on the cross.  Thank you for helping us understand our earthly lives, at times filled with both peaks and valleys, is temporary.  Please use me this Lenten season to help those around me to understand this truth, and the unimaginable joy of life eternal through you.  Open opportunities for me to invite others to know you more fully, to be invitational to others to join me in worship, study, prayer, and service, all to your glory. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18/2/21 Day 2

SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE FOR LENT SEASON 2021

27/3/21 Day 34