27/3/21 Day 34

TODAY'S VERSE: 27/3/21 Day 34

“I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But it’s death will produce many new kernels- a plentiful harvest of new lives. Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.” John 12:24-26

 

TODAY'S DEVOTION:

Tomorrow marks Palm Sunday, the day when we celebrate Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem. It’s a strange thing to celebrate the day Jesus enters the city where he will die; but when Jesus entered Jerusalem that day he was welcomed by a crowd who had heard that he had raised Lazarus from the dead after 4 days in the tomb. They desperately wanted to see the man who could do such a thing and find out if he was the one to rescue the nation of Israel from Roman rule. As soon as they realized he would not be the man to lead the revolution they turned on him; and later in the week choose to have a known murderer released instead of Jesus. These words of Jesus from John 12, were just one of the reasons that the people deserted him. They realized that the glory Jesus was talking about had nothing to do with the things of this earth; and that if they were to give up their lives it would not be for the things they seemed to care most about.

This week brings us up close and personal to the depths of our own hearts. When we read the gospel accounts, imagine ourselves in that place, and consider Jesus’ sacrifice; we desperately hope we would be at the foot of the cross like Mary Magdelene, Jesus’ mother, and the apostle John. The truth is more difficult. Most of the people who knew Jesus abandoned him out of fear. Why would you or I be any different?

This week, as we head into the most important season of the year- I invite you to dig a little deeper. Where is fear keeping you from Jesus? Where are you hanging tight and resisting giving whatever it is over to Jesus? What things of this world have more control over you than you care to admit? Let this be the day you hand them over and let Jesus take them to the cross.

Pastor Amanda Neppl

TODAY'S PRAYER

Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus. Lord, plumb the depths of my heart and show me what I’m hanging on to, that I need to let go of. Show me the ways you want to reveal yourself to me and give me the courage to say yes. Help me to love others around me well, to be your hand and feet in this world that you love. In Jesus name, Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18/2/21 Day 2

SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE FOR LENT SEASON 2021